Friday, January 7, 2011

Be True to Myself!


I failed tonight...big fat failed.

As a general rule, I don't watch R-rated movies. It's never really been an issue, just a precaution against filling my mind with unnecessary language, violence, sex, or subject matter. I don't have a strong opinion regarding those who make different choices, I've just found that choice to work well for me.
That said, I've made a few exceptions in my day (Slumdog Millionaire being my favorite exception). But the exception I made tonight is burning a hole in my brain! I can't believe I went. I can't believe I didn't check the rating justification on-line. I can't believe I trusted the source of the recommendation. I can't believe that I didn't walk out. I had every reason to walk out. Did I happen to mention that my BRAIN IS BURNING?!
The sexual content in Black Swan was just to much for my virgin mind. There were six separate scenes I endured by closing my eyes and thinking about other things. Six! Six? How many did I need to motivate me to get out?
Wow, I can really disappoint myself sometimes.
However, I can take this lesson with me: That R-rated standard I choose to follow...ya, that really works for me. I'm going to continue to stick with that one.

No comments: