Saturday, November 5, 2011

I am Grateful for: Personal Growth

When I was 19 years old I met a pretty incredible man and spent the following five years falling head over heels for him...he never spent any time feeling the same way about me. When he finally met and married his match, I was crushed and I wondered what sadness would consume the rest of my life.

Well, that was silly. My life was never consumed by sadness and I actually went on to have some pretty incredible experiences with some pretty incredible other men. But the best part was that I continued to become improved and refined through the process. I often reflect back now and feel a huge sense of relief that the girl I was at age 24 didn't get married! I like the girl I am today so much more!! I'm convinced that this girl, the one that I have grown into, will be an even better wife and mother than the girl I was 13 years ago.

And that is just one example. There are so many things that are more and better and improved because of the personal growth I have experienced in my life. Recognizing the opportunity to become better is exciting. Convincing myself (and sometimes those around me) to let me live up to that improved expectation seems to be the next challenge.

No comments: