Thursday, November 3, 2011

I am Grateful for: Second Chances

...and third, and fourth, and fifth...

I am feeling sad today. But that is not a good start for a gratitude post.

A dear friend, Sarah Hays Shurtz, passed away Tuesday night after an 18 month battle against cancer. I am one of the fortunate who got to know and love Sarah in this life. We met as she moved in, a stranger, to the condo at Riverstone. We weren't strangers for long, she and I hit it off immediately and her laughter is the soundtrack to so many fantastic memories! Through her entire fight, she has been the kind of person I wish I was...namely, hopeful.

Between moments of unexpected tears, I have spent some quiet time hoping for understanding...trying to make sense of how a fighter, full of so much life, had to go while I, barely "living" my life at all, is left here instead.

And so I am grateful that we get many chances in life to learn some things and then start again. I can let Sarah's example shape how I will live my life tomorrow, I can let the love that she felt for her friends mold the way I treat the individuals in my life. I will take the time that I have here and learn to live with the kind of hope Sarah taught me.

1 comment:

Missy said...

I'm sorry to hear about Sarah. I, too, am in awe of those fighters. Fighters like you. Love, missy