Friday, September 9, 2011

Putting Yourself Out There

As a single woman, I'm often told by married observers that it's really important to be "Putting yourself out there". It seems like such hollow advice, especially when I challenge the advice with a follow-up such as, "What exactly do you recommend I do, that I'm not already doing?", and they give me nothing.

But I do understand the sentiment. I can see how easily an old maid becomes an old maid...one Redbox weekend at a time. Which is why one of my 2011 goals is to only spend one weekend night a month in. I know that it's important to stay socially connected an active, even if it means another GNO or having to do all of the planning to make it happen.

But, there is a price that is paid. There's that solitary drive home at the end of the night, when you have to face the fact that your weekends are becoming "Groundhog Day" in nature and you've managed to attend another party at the same place with the same people exchanging pleasantries with the same men who have already rejected you before...well, it's a heavy price to pay. And tonight as we handed $250 cash to the tow-truck driver who was releasing Sassy's car, it seemed like staying social at this age might be well outside our budget.

No comments: