Sunday, June 26, 2011

What I Learned in Church Today: Love

John 13:34-35
A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

I taught Sunday School today. It might have been a hot mess.

There was sooooooo much doctrine to cover in the assigned passages (Luke 22, John 13-15) and we barely scratched the surface. But we did scratch the portion that had stuck with me through my weeks of preparation...the commandment to Love One Another.

I have a ton of notes of things I think I see more clearly now, but in summary, I would say that the quickest way to understand how to follow the command, is to really understand God's love for us. Once we really, really get it....deep in the core of ourselves....then loving others is a piece of cake.

I'm blessed. I have been well loved in my life. I have family and friends that I have no doubt love me completely. Their examples have been a starting point for me to understand how God can love me completely. And that makes it so easy for me to love those that I meet. I don't necessarily have to approve of their choices, or even want to spend my time with them. But I can treat all of the people with kindness and make my best attempt at helping others feel some of the love that I feel in buckets.

No comments: