Friday, August 5, 2011

uh...about that unannounced sabbatical...

so...

the last few weeks this page has been a hospice of sorts...a place where posts come to die. you wouldn't believe the number of poorly written and/or unfinished thoughts i've patched together.

i'm happy to report that, i'm feeling emotionally sterile enough to actually draft something that has a shot at the publish button at the bottom of this page. truth is, i drafted the rest of this post a few days ago as a follow-up to my irresponsible behavior on facebook when i posted a status update while still mildly sedated...for those out of the loop, it came as a bit of a shock. so, by way of an update, here is where things stand for now:

STATUS UPDATE ... LONG-FORM

Bad news isn't fun to share at all...especially when so many of the specifics are currently unknown. But my poor Facebook etiquette on Monday evening has prompted a more complete explanation:

After months of not feeling well, and ignoring many symptoms, I finally saw a cardiologist on July 8. Having been diagnosed with Cardiomyopathy (enlarged heart) at the age of 13, I had a doctor already in my rolodex. I was immediately diagnosed with Atrial Fibrillation (A-Fib, irregular heartbeat). I was prescribed medications and tests, and have been cruising through podcasts and books on tape while I drive to and from doctor appointments.

Monday was my first invasive procedure, an Angiogram (an x-ray from inside the heart,) in an effort to get a good standing on my arterial health and some data concerning a suspicious membrane near one of the valves. The good news is my arteries are pristine and the membrane is negligible!!! The not so good news is that in addition to the A-Fib, it was discovered that I also have Pulmonary Hypertension (high blood pressure inside the arteries of the lungs).

It has been a relief to know that my feeling like garbage wasn't imagined, and there is comfort in knowing that I'm up against a couple of pretty legit reasons for feeling so lousy.

Now I'm just practicing optimism and patience as I jump through medical hoops to determine the cause (if there is one) and the treatment(s).

I better realize how many people are sincerely concerned for my well-being as prayers and well-wishes are sent my way. Other than blatant flattery, it's all I can ask for right now.

Most importantly, I more clearly understand the impact of "intoxicated" Facebooking. Following all future procedures, I will be sure to keep my iPhone far from me until I can sing the alphabet backward or something.

No comments: