Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Deacon

In our church, Deacons are typically young men, ages 12-13, who are just beginning to actively participate in Priesthood duties. Occasionally there's a rotten one, but the majority of them are just super adorable! Their clothes don't quite fit right, there hair is a little tousled, they shuffle as they walk, their posture is disturbing and there is about a zero percent chance that they'll look you in the eyes when you talk to them...but they're eager to step into manhood and their baby-faced contributions are endearing. Most young men have grown out of this awkward phase by 16...18 at the latest.

But there's a man in my ward who seems to be stuck just a month or two before his 13th birthday. I secretly enjoy watching him pass the sacrament each week and watching him shuffle, eyes down, through the congregation. However, when we were first introduced, I didn't know how to approach him...I didn't know how to talk to 12 year old boys when I was a 12 year old girl and I don't think I ever really picked up the skill. 6 months ago, he was assigned to be my Home Teacher and we both, have since, had to interact on a personal level. My aggressive "let's be friends" approach hasn't gotten me anywhere with this guy!

But tonight, the two of us had to figure it out. My roommate wasn't home when he arrived for our appointment, and his companion was MIA. The look of fear that flashed across his face when he realized it was a one-on-one situation was priceless. And with a little bit of patience from me, and effort from him, we had something resembling a conversation. I can't be sure, but I think I almost got him to laugh once!

The interaction reminds me of my first personal interview with the Bishop, who told me that he didn't think there was a man in the congregation who wouldn't be completely overwhelmed by my personality, but that he'd find me a husband...just not in that ward. Truer words might never have been spoken!

1 comment:

Missy said...

It was just a matter of time (and the right circumstance) before you got him to warm up. You are magical that way.