Sunday, October 23, 2011

What I Learned in Church Today: Testimony and Conversion,

This weekend I attended Regional Conference for the South Salt Lake Valley and I have almost 6 pages of notes from the 4 hours of meetings...it was well worth attending. Today's key speaker was Elder David A. Bednar who taught on the differences between a Testimony and Conversion:

*Testimony - What we know to be true by the witness of the spirit
*Conversion - Consistently living true to what we know to be true
*Testimony alone is not enough, it must lead to perpetual conversion
*Alma 23:5-7 a.) our conversion must be "unto the Lord" to ensure that we never fall away,
b.) "lay down the weapons of their rebellion" = giving up our favorite sin

I appreciated that he was able to simplify some of the thoughts I've been wrestling with. I have confidence in my Testimony, but there are times when I rely on my Conversion to things like people, circumstances, or expected blessings. I need to be sure that my Conversion is in the Lord.
I gave up my favorite sin in January and found it interesting that as soon as it was conquered, there was a new favorite sin at the top of my list. I know that the new favorite sin needs to go next, but I have been procrastinating. Somehow labeling it a "Weapon of my Rebellion" causes me to feel more comfortable saying goodbye to such a silly habit.

I feel lucky for these, and 6 other, pages of notes that I can use to develop my understanding of Gospel principles and the direction that it brings to my life.


No comments: