Sunday, October 30, 2011

What I Learned in Church Today: Antichrist

"Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world."
I was reading in 1 John today and these verses caught my attention differently this time. I have always thought of "Antichrist" to be a proclamation specifically contradictory to the truth of the Savior...but that isn't what I read this time through: "And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist".

I find that the most common danger for me lies in neutral areas. It is too obvious, too offensive, to accept things that blatantly witness contrary to Christ...but to not speak of Him at all, to ignore His influence in the world, to be swept up in the dozens of distractions that pull focus from the Savior - well, I fall for it far often than I am comfortable to admit.

No comments: